Brian Laundrie’s father is “expected” to join an FBI-led search for his missing son — the sole person of interest in the Gabby Petito case — at a vast Florida nature preserve on Thursday, an attorney for the family told Insider.
Chris Laundrie is slated to go to the 25,000-acre Carlton Reserve in Sarasota County where authorities have been looking for Brian Laundrie since mid-September, attorney Steven Bertolino said.
“As of now, it is expected that Chris will go to the preserve today,” Bertolino said.
The lawyer previously told Insider that the father was “asked to assist law enforcement” in their search of the closed reserve on Wednesday, but his involvement in the effort was “postponed.”
“Since the preserve has been closed to the public Chris has not been able to look for Brian in the only place” Brian Laundrie’s parents “believe” he may be, Bertolino said.
Chris and his wife Roberta Laundrie reported their 23-year-old son missing to police in Florida on September 17, telling investigators that Brian went out for a hike in the Carlton Reserve days earlier with only a backpack and never returned home.
This story is developing. Please check back for updates.